Maria S. Fischer is an attorney in the Fort Lauderdale office of Steinger, Greene & Feiner. She is dedicated to helping those who have been injured through her trial advocacy and extensive litigation experience.
Maria began her career as an Assistant State Attorney in the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit, in and for Broward County. She handled a wide variety of cases and worked her way up to managing a high case load of first degree felonies and crimes that are punishable by life. Maria gained strong litigation skills during her time as a prosecutor, appearing in court daily for jury trials, bench trials, and numerous pretrial motions and hearings. Prior to working as a prosecutor, she worked as a Certified Legal Intern at the Office of the Public Defender in Gainesville, Florida, giving her experience defending clients and a perspective from both sides of the law. Maria amassed 30 jury trials during her career in the criminal justice system.
After leaving the State Attorney’s Office, Maria worked for a well-respected boutique law firm in Fort Lauderdale, where she assisted in creating the products liability practice area for the firm. She focused on products liability cases for medical devices, helping individuals battle some of the largest medical device companies in the world. She also learned a unique side to personal injury cases by defending non-party physicians in depositions and arguing motions for protective orders.
Maria earned her college degree from the University of Miami and her law degree from the University of Florida. During law school, she had the prestigious opportunity to work as a summer judicial clerk for Justice Barbara Pariente at the Florida Supreme Court. As a lifelong resident of South Florida, Maria has a strong passion to help her community.
- State of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- University of Miami, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, cum laude
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Young Lawyers Section of the Broward County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Broward County Bar Association, Member
- Young Lawyers Division of the Florida Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Current Uses of DNA in Florida: The DNA Database, Competing Rights of the State and Defendant, and the Florida Innocence Commission, 50 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin ART 6 (Summer 2014)
- Contributing Author for the Florida Bar Business Law Journal’s Case Law Update 2011