Bicycle accident cases can be overwhelming and tough to navigate, especially because of all the bicycle-specific laws that are involved. That’s why hiring a San Antonio bicycle accident lawyer is vital to place yourself in the best position to win your case.
Let’s discuss the common causes of bicycle accidents, how a legal expert can help, what the legal process is, and what kind of compensation you can be awarded.
Why Choose a San Antonio Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
In 2022, San Antonio alone had 245 bicycle accidents, resulting in multiple fatalities and serious injuries. The most severe injuries come from bicycle accidents in which the cyclist collides with a car.
If you find yourself in a bicycle accident, contact a local San Antonio bicycle accident attorney who will understand the rules and regulations in the city to more smoothly handle your case.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in San Antonio
While there are situations in which bicyclists are at fault for accidents involving a car, it is more common for the driver of the car to be at fault.
These scenarios frequently cause accidents with bicyclists:
- Turning left into the path of a rider
- Rolling through a stop sign
- Driving too fast in a residential zone
- Drifting into a bike lane or the shoulder
- Pulling out of a side street or parking lot
- Cutting off bicyclists when turning right
- Sudden lane changes
- “Dooring” a bike rider when exiting a parked car
- Distracted driving
The infrastructure of road systems can also contribute to accidents involving cyclists when they’re not equipped to accommodate them.
The Legal Process Following a Bicycle Accident
If you find yourself in a bicycle accident, you should immediately take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention
- Call the police for an official police report
- Collect driver information
- Collect witness information
- Preserve evidence, like pictures of the scene, your injuries, or any damage done
You will then want to contact a bicycle accident attorney immediately. They have expertise in navigating these types of accidents and the laws surrounding them. Not only will they represent you in court and to your insurance companies, but they also have the resources to prove the negligence of the other party for you to get maximum compensation.
To do this, they need to prove:
- The driver owed the bicyclist a duty to drive with a reasonable degree of care
- The driver breached that duty to drive with a reasonable degree of care
- The bicyclist was injured as a result of the driver’s breach
Compensation for Bicycle Accident Victims
If you’re injured in a bicycle accident, there are several losses that you deserve compensation for.
With a San Antonio bicycle accident attorney, they will fight for you to receive recovery for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation services
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent impairment
- Loss of quality of life
- Wrongful death damages
Your attorney will prove just how much you were affected physically, emotionally, and financially to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your losses.
Choosing the Right San Antonio Bicycle Accident Attorney
After your bicycle accident, you’ll want to find an experienced attorney who specializes in bicycle accident cases. They must have handled cases like yours before because they can be complex and difficult to navigate. It’s also recommended that you find a bicycle accident lawyer who’s local, as they will be familiar with the intricacies of all the state laws surrounding your case.
You will want to find an attorney that’s willing and able to answer all of your questions.
These are common questions that are asked during the initial consultations for these types of cases:
- What should I do if I was involved in a hit-and-run?
- What mistakes should I avoid after my accident?
- Should I accept a settlement offer with the insurance company?
- Should I talk to the insurance company myself?
- How long do I have to file a bicycle accident claim in Texas?
An expert bicycle accident attorney will be able to answer all of these and more, as well as guide you through the entire legal process and fight for you to receive maximum compensation.
Bicycle Safety Tips to Prevent Accidents
To ride a bicycle safely in San Antonio, you have to follow the rules and regulations for cyclists.
- Follow traffic laws related to stop signs, red lights, and other traffic signals
- Use appropriate hand and arm signals to indicate stopping and turning
- Ride on the road shoulder or near the curb and travel in the same direction as the flow of traffic
- Keep at least on hand on the handlebars
- Have a white reflector in the front and a red reflector in the back while riding at night
- Cyclists riding on a multiple-lane road must ride in a single lane and not impede the flow of traffic
- Not carry more persons than the bicycle is designed to carry
Your Path to Justice and Recovery With Steinger, Greene & Feiner
When you need a bicycle accident lawyer in San Antonio, look no further than Steinger, Greene & Feiner. We have the resources and knowledge required to win your case and secure the compensation you deserve.
We are proud to offer:
- 24/7 Availability
- A Track Record of Success
- Convenient Communication
- Affordable Services
If you were involved in a bicycle accident, don’t wait to contact our expert team to guarantee that you have the legal protection you need.