Palm Beach Lakes is a tight-knit neighborhood known for its community pride. Whether cheering on the Rams at Palm Beach Lakes Community High or enjoying a night on the town, residents and visitors keep the roads busy.
Unfortunately, all this traffic can lead to serious car wrecks. Stats from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department show that 27,273 car accidents happened in Palm Beach County in 2017. Those accidents led to a shocking 15,912 injuries and 162 tragic deaths.
If you or a close family member have been injured in a car accident — or someone in your immediate family was killed — you could have the right to file an injury or wrongful death claim against anyone who was at-fault. If you are able to obtain a settlement or have a court case rule in your favor, then you can recover all of your monetary losses that resulted from the accident.
Learn more about your options for filing a claim or lawsuit after your crash by talking with a West Palm Beach car accident lawyer. You can speak to one at Steinger, Greene & Feiner for no charge at all during your initial case review.
Schedule your free, no-obligation case review now by calling 1-800-916-8108 or by using our quick form to contact us online.
What to Do after an Accident in Palm Beach Lakes
- Check to see if everyone is ok, then call 911 immediately. Request an ambulance for anyone who is hurt
- Remain calm. Don’t apologize to anyone or admit fault. Don’t get into an argument over who was at fault, either.
- If you can move, take pictures of the accident scene and then move the vehicles out of the road as soon as you can.
- Take detailed pictures of your injuries, the damage to your vehicle, and evidence at the accident scene, such as skid marks. Ask eyewitnesses if you can record a statement, and get their contact information.
- When police arrive, describe the accident as accurately as you can. Tell them when you aren’t sure about something; don’t guess.
- Go to the emergency room or a doctor immediately after you talk to police. If you are seriously hurt, don’t refuse an ambulance.
- Describe your symptoms to the doctor as clearly as you can. The more detailed their notes are, the more evidence you have concerning your injury.
- Talk to an experienced West Palm Beach car accident lawyer from Steinger, Greene & Feiner before you talk to any insurance companies. She or he will tell you the next steps you can take to file a strong claim for all the compensation you deserve.
When Can You Sue in Florida after a Car Accident?
Florida’s no-fault insurance system requires you to file with your own personal injury protection (PIP) insurance plan in most situations after a car accident. However, anyone who has received “severe injuries” in a car accident may be allowed to file a personal injury claim against a driver — or anyone else involved — who was at fault for the accident.
Serious injuries in Florida law refer to injuries that create significant disfigurement, broken bones, or a permanent disability. Injuries that cause nearly full disability for at least 90 days are also usually eligible for a lawsuit.
In most cases, a lawsuit and a jury trial will not be needed to retrieve the money you are entitled to after your car accident. Instead, your West Palm Beach car accident lawyer will negotiate with insurers to help you obtain the largest settlement possible. If no agreement can be reached, then your attorney will typically pursue the case in court.
Florida laws (§95.11) require you to file a claim or lawsuit within four years of the accident.
Note that a car accident lawyer in West Palm Beach can still provide helpful assistance when filing a claim with your own PIP insurance. Our lawyers know the best types of evidence to present and how to estimate the full cost of your losses, past and future, so we can increase the chances of earning you the maximum compensation available under the law after your car wreck.
Talk to a West Palm Beach Car Accident Lawyer During a Free Consultation
You can speak with a West Palm Beach lakes car accident attorney who has handled hundreds of cases like yours for no charge during your initial case review.
Schedule your case evaluation now by calling 1-800-916-8108 or by using our form to contact us online.