If you slipped and fell on public or private property and sustained injuries as a result, you’re entitled to financial compensation. Property owners are responsible for maintaining their property, ensuring it’s safe for others to use. When property owners neglect this responsibility, it can have catastrophic effects on visitors, making it crucial to consult a Jacksonville slip and fall lawyer to navigate the legal complexities and secure your rightful compensation.
Don’t worry about how to secure compensation for your injuries. Let Steinger, Greene & Feiner handle your case so you can focus on a full recovery. We won’t stop until justice is achieved and maximum compensation is secured. Show the negligent party you mean business by contacting a slip and fall lawyer in Jacksonville today.
Why Choose Steinger, Greene & Feiner as Your Jacksonville Slip and Fall Lawyer?
Proving negligence in a slip-and-fall accident case is difficult. You not only have to prove that the property owner neglected their duties but that this neglect directly caused your injuries. You must also prove you legally entered the property.
With a wealth of resources and more than 25 years of experience representing slip and fall clients, Steinger, Greene & Feiner is the name you can trust to win your case. Our team will gather key evidence and consult specialists to build a strong case. We even have a dedicated team of investigators and researchers ready to advocate on your behalf. Here are some more reasons why you should let us take on your slip-and-fall case.
A Track Record of Success
Winning a slip-and-fall case doesn’t just require hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer. It requires hiring an attorney who has a history of winning their clients’ cases. After 25+ years on the job, our lawyers have what it takes to ensure your case is successful. Take a look at some of our top case results.
What Our Clients Have to Say
“I was hurt and scared at the beginning of my ordeal. Mostly confused and didn’t know where to turn for a lawyer to help me navigate my case. My attorneys have been an absolute pleasure! I couldn’t have asked for a less painless process. They worked so hard and took all the guesswork out of my case. What truly stood out above everything was how nice, sweet, polite, and understanding they both were. If I ever need representation in the future, I will definitely be reaching out to the SGF team. Thank you for everything! It has been a pleasure to get to work with you. I couldn’t be happier with how things turned out.”
“I had the best experience with my attorney. He was always available to answer any questions I had. He is kind, thoughtful, and has the best personality, even if a question I had was silly. He always reassured me everything was going to be alright, and it was. I will be referring him and your law firm to anyone who needs an excellent personal injury attorney.”
“Steinger, Greene & Feiner is the firm you will truly be happy with. My attorneys kept me informed of my case every step of the way and in a very timely manner. They made me feel confident and treated me with such kindness. I am a very happy & satisfied customer. THANK YOU!”
“I went to one attorney with my case and I didn’t hear anything from them via text, phone, or email—nothing. Within a couple of hours, I got a text letting me know the lawyers were working on my case and would be in touch with me. I love that because you need to know what’s going on with your case without you having to call them and see what’s going on.”
“They all really exceeded all my expectations! They handled my case in a very professional and timely manner. I never had to worry or handle anything! If it wasn’t for this team of professionals, I fear the insurance company would’ve beaten me out of the care and money I deserved. I highly recommend this law office. They’re dedicated to getting you the money and care you deserve after a life-changing experience like the car accident I was in. Thanks so much!!”
Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
Injuries caused by slip and fall accidents range from mild to severe. More severe injuries can be life-altering or even life-threatening. These are some of the most common injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents.
- Chronic pain
- Fractured or broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Sprains or strains
- Concussion or other head injury
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Hazardous conditions are a leading cause of slip-and-fall accidents on properties nationwide. Here are some conditions considered to be hazardous.
- Broken stairs
- Torn carpet
- Dim lighting
- Wet floors
- Slick or slippery floor surfaces
- Neglected puddles and spills
- Missing or broken railings
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Broken floorboards
- Unsecured rugs
- Loose electrical wires
- Debris and garbage
- Potholes and cracks
- Uneven pavement or sidewalks
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere, including at the following locations.
- Private residences
- Shopping centers
- Restaurants and bars
- Retail stores
- Industrial sites
- Government buildings
- Apartment buildings
- Grocery stores
- Gas stations
- Office buildings
- Nursing homes
- Parking garages
- Parks and playgrounds
Determining Liability in Slip and Fall Cases
The key to securing compensation for your injuries is establishing the property owner’s liability for the hazardous condition that caused you to slip and fall. This process involves proving the property owner knew about the hazardous condition and did nothing to address it. In other words, the property owner knew or should have known about the hazardous condition and neglected to fix it in a reasonable amount of time, which resulted in your injuries.
If you can prove a) a property owner acted negligently and b) their negligence caused you to slip and fall, which caused your injuries, you can file a lawsuit against them to recover damages. These are the four official criteria that must be met to establish negligence in a slip-and-fall case.
- Duty: The property owner owed the plaintiff a duty of care.
- Breach: The property owner did not fulfill their duty of care.
- Causation: The property owner’s breached duty of care directly caused the plaintiff’s injuries.
- Damages: The plaintiff suffered a form of identifiable harm (physical, mental, or emotional) as a result of their injuries.
Additionally, you must prove that you lawfully visited the premises in question. If you illegally trespassed onto private property—or ignored clearly posted warning signs on public property—your case could be dismissed, and you could forfeit any compensation you might have otherwise received.
When you trust Steinger, Greene & Feiner with your case, you can count on us to hold the property owner responsible for their actions by making them pay for the injuries they caused.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Taking the right steps after your slip and fall accident can be the difference between no compensation and maximum compensation. Here’s everything you should do after your accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention: Safety should be your top priority. If you need emergency medical assistance, call 9-1-1. Have a bystander call 9-1-1 for you if you’re physically unable to. If your injuries are minor, you can opt to visit an urgent care clinic or visit your primary care doctor upon leaving the accident scene.
- Report the accident: Your next step should be to report the accident. You can either contact the police and have them file a police report or have the property owner, manager, or landlord file an accident report. Be sure all essential details are included in the report.
- Document everything: Sufficient evidence is essential for a successful slip and fall case. Take photos and videos of the accident scene, keep a running list of your injuries and symptoms, and obtain copies of any scans, test results, and physician notes as well as the official police or accident report. Insurance companies and the defense attorney will leave no stone unturned, so you should be prepared.
- Gather witness statements: Eyewitnesses are extremely valuable. If other people can back up what you claim happened, your chances of winning the case increase significantly. Gather statements from any witnesses at the scene, keeping a record of their names and contact information.
- Keep track of your injuries and expenses: Knowing how much compensation to seek is impossible without first calculating what costs your injuries caused. Keep a thorough record of all injuries caused by the accident, including symptoms, along with their related expenses. You want to be sure the compensation you receive will cover these expenses in full so you’re not stuck paying them out-of-pocket.
- Contact a premises liability lawyer: Last but not least, contact a trusted premises liability lawyer in your area. This legal professional will have the skills and expertise required to prove the property owner’s negligence and secure maximum financial compensation on your behalf.
Damages You Can Claim
There are two types of damages you can collect in a slip-and-fall case: economic and non-economic. Here’s a breakdown of what each type is, along with some examples.
Economic damages alleviate financial losses. Common examples of economic damages include:
- Emergency medical care
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Property damage
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages alleviate mental and emotional losses. Common examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Anxiety and depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Psychological trauma
- Loss of companionship
- Wrongful death
What Determines a Claim’s Worth?
The top three factors that impact the worth of your personal injury claim are:
- What injuries you have suffered
- How severe your injuries are
- Whether you share any of the fault
The Jacksonville lawyer assigned to your slip and fall accident case will review your case thoroughly to determine fault and assess the damages.
Why Slip and Fall Cases Can Be Complex
Premises Liability Law
Under Florida’s premises liability laws, property owners have a responsibility to protect invited guests from dangerous conditions on their property. While proving a property owner’s negligence might be relatively easy, proving their negligence caused your injuries is more challenging.
If you don’t seek immediate medical attention after your accident, insurance companies will use this against you to prove your injuries weren’t caused by the slip and fall. If they had been, you would have sought medical attention sooner. Property owners might even claim you should have seen the hazardous condition and acted with greater caution.
Florida practices modified comparative negligence in personal injury cases, like those involving slip and fall accidents. The plaintiff can be up to 50% at fault for the accident and still seek compensation. The compensation is simply reduced by the percentage of the fault they contributed. For example, if the total damages awarded in a slip and fall injury case are $100,000, but the plaintiff is 10% at fault, they will receive $90,000. If the plaintiff is 51% or more at fault, they cannot seek compensation.
Statute of Limitations
A statute of limitations defines how much time from the date of the accident a plaintiff has to file a claim against the defendant. If your accident occurred in Florida on or before 03/23/2023, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a claim against the at-fault party. If your accident occurred after 03/23/3023, you have two years from the accident date to file a claim. The statute of limitations is also two years if a slip and fall caused the wrongful death of a loved one. If you plan to file a lawsuit against a government agency, the statute of limitations is extended to three years.
How Steinger, Greene & Feiner Can Help
With Steinger, Greene & Feiner on your side, you will significantly increase your chances of having a successful case. Our team will help you by:
1. Evaluating Your Case
During your free case evaluation, a Jacksonville lawyer will either sit down with you in person or speak with you over the phone to discuss your slip and fall case, explain your rights, and present your legal options.
2. Ensuring You Receive Proper Medical Treatment
We prioritize your health and safety just as much as you do. Whether you need help finding a primary care doctor or getting a prescription for pain medication, we’ll be there for you.
3. Conducting an Investigation of Your Accident
We’ll investigate your case to determine fault and calculate damages.
4. Negotiating a settlement
We handle all negotiations with insurance companies to ensure they don’t take advantage of your situation. Insurance companies know slip and fall victims like you need money fast to cover expenses like medical bills and rehabilitative care. They exploit this opportunity to settle your case for the least amount possible, leaving you with insufficient funds to cover all accident-related costs. Your attorney will fight for a fair settlement.
5. Representing you in court
If you can’t reach a settlement with the defendant, you can file a lawsuit against them in pursuit of fair compensation. Your lawyer will submit all necessary court documents, prepare you to answer questions in the courtroom and take your case to court. A judge and a jury will hear your case, review it, and determine whether the defendant acted negligently. If the defendant did act negligently, the judge and jury will calculate how much your case is worth using the evidence provided.
Take the Next Step with Our Jacksonville Slip and Fall Lawyers
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident, contact Steinger, Greene & Feiner today to get the compensation you deserve. Thanks to our affordable services, you don’t have to pay any legal fees unless we win your case. This ensures your needs are prioritized from start to finish. Contact us today to schedule your free case evaluation.