If you live in Houston and were recently injured after slipping and falling on public, private, or even government property, you’re entitled to financial compensation. By specializing in slip and fall accidents, our Houston personal injury lawyers can provide the legal expertise required to win cases. If you need a slip and fall injury lawyer, look no further than Steinger, Greene & Feiner.
Why Choose Steinger, Greene & Feiner
25+ Years of Experience
For more than 25 years, our team has been dedicated to helping victims of slip and fall accidents get the justice and compensation they deserve. We’re ready to help you. All you have to do is call, and we’ll get started on your case.
Track Record of Success
We don’t just have experience representing slip and fall victims. We have a track record of winning their cases. When you trust Steinger, Greene & Feiner with your case, you can be confident in our ability to achieve justice and maximum compensation.
“I was hurt and scared at the beginning of my ordeal. Mostly confused and didn’t know where to turn for a lawyer to help me navigate my case. My attorneys have been an absolute pleasure! I couldn’t have asked for a less painless process. They worked so hard and took all the guesswork out of my case. What truly stood out above everything was how nice, sweet, polite, and understanding they both were. If I ever need representation in the future, I will definitely be reaching out to the SGF team. Thank you for everything! It has been a pleasure to get to work with you. I couldn’t be happier with how things turned out.”
“I had the best experience with my attorney. He was always available to answer any questions I had. He is kind, thoughtful, and has the best personality, even if a question I had was silly. He always reassured me everything was going to be alright, and it was. I will be referring him and your law firm to anyone who needs an excellent personal injury attorney.”
“Steinger, Greene & Feiner is the firm you will truly be happy with. My attorneys kept me informed of my case every step of the way and in a very timely manner. They made me feel confident and treated me with such kindness. I am a very happy & satisfied customer. THANK YOU!”
“I went to one attorney with my case and I didn’t hear anything from them via text, phone, or email—nothing. Within a couple of hours, I got a text letting me know the lawyers were working on my case and would be in touch with me. I love that because you need to know what’s going on with your case without you having to call them and see what’s going on.”
“They all really exceeded all my expectations! They handled my case in a very professional and timely manner. I never had to worry or handle anything! If it wasn’t for this team of professionals, I fear the insurance company would’ve beaten me out of the care and money I deserved. I highly recommend this law office. They’re dedicated to getting you the money and care you deserve after a life-changing experience like the car accident I was in. Thanks so much!!”
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents have various causes. Here are the top five reasons Houston residents lose their footing and suffer the consequences.
- Wet Floors: Slip and fall accidents often occur when walking on wet or recently cleaned floors. That’s because the moisture reduces traction, making it easy to lose your footing and fall.
- Uneven Surfaces: Walking on uneven surfaces, like cracked sidewalks or poorly maintained floors, can lead to trips and falls when people don’t notice or can’t navigate them effectively.
- Poor Lighting: Inadequate lighting in walkways or stairwells makes it difficult for people to see potential hazards, increasing the risk of slipping or tripping due to limited visibility.
- Loose Rugs or Mats: Loose rugs and mats can easily shift or curl at the edges, creating a tripping hazard for people stepping on them.
- Spills: Spilled drinks and other liquids on floors—particularly in public areas—pose a slip and fall risk. People may not notice the hazard or may not have time to react before losing their balance and falling down.
Understanding Your Rights
Victims of slip and fall accidents in Houston have the right to:
- Pursue Compensation: Victims have a right to seek financial compensation to pay for the injuries and damages they suffered as a result of the accident. Compensation can cover things like medical bills, lost income, and property damage.
- Establish Negligence: Victims can take legal action against the individual or entity responsible for their accident. The first step in this process is establishing negligence. The victim must prove the at-fault party breached the duty of care they owed the victim and that this breach resulted in the victim’s injuries.
- Secure a Fair Settlement: Victims have a right to a fair settlement that will cover all accident-related injuries and damages. They can reach a settlement by negotiating with their or the at-fault party’s insurance company, which their Houston slip and fall lawyer will handle.
- File a Lawsuit: If the victim can’t reach a satisfactory settlement, they can file a lawsuit against the at-fault party and take their case to court. The lawsuit must be filed within the statute of limitations, which is two years in Texas for personal injury claims.
- Seek Legal Representation: Whether victims choose to settle or pursue litigation, they have a right to a Houston slip and fall lawyer who will provide support and legal counsel from the beginning to the end of the process.
The Role of Property Owners
Property owners are legally responsible for maintaining safe premises for anyone who enters their property. This duty of care—often referred to as premises liability—applies to various types of properties, including residential, commercial, and public spaces. Premises liability encompasses a few key aspects:
Property owners must routinely inspect and maintain their premises to identify and address potential hazards. This includes ensuring walking surfaces are free from tripping or slipping risks, like wet floors, loose rugs, uneven pathways, and poor lighting.
Property owners must provide adequate warnings or precautions for known hazards. This might involve placing warning signs near wet floors, repairing broken stairs or handrails promptly, and securing loose mats or rugs. Property owners must meet building and safety codes applicable to their property type and location.
Ultimately, the responsibility of property owners to maintain safe premises protects the well-being of visitors and occupants. When they fulfill this duty, it reduces the risk of accidents and minimizes the potential for legal claims against them. However, when negligence in property maintenance leads to accidents and injuries, the property owner may be held financially liable for the resulting damages.
How We Can Help
Navigating the aftermath of a slip and fall accident can be confusing and frustrating. That’s why our slip and fall lawyers in Houston are here to help. Our client-centered approach includes the following services.
We offer a free initial consultation to evaluate your case, explain your rights, and assess the potential for a successful claim.
We help collect and preserve evidence—like photographs, witness statements, and medical records—to strengthen your case.
Negotiating a Settlement
We negotiate with insurance companies to secure a fair settlement on your behalf so you don’t have to pay any accident-related costs out of pocket.
Filing a Lawsuit
If a settlement cannot be reached, we’ll help you file a lawsuit against the at-fault party within Texas’ two-year statute of limitations.
If you don’t accept a settlement offer, we’ll take your case to court. We’ll represent you in all court proceedings until a verdict is reached.
From the initial consultation to litigation, you can rest easy knowing we have your best interest at heart. We’ll do whatever it takes to fight for your rights so you get the compensation you deserve.
Compensation You Can Expect
We know how costly the aftermath of a slip and fall accident can be. You might be faced with mounting medical bills, lost income due to extended time off of work, and pain and suffering. Thankfully, your Houston slip and fall lawyer will fight tooth and nail to secure maximum financial compensation to cover those costs. Here’s a breakdown of the types of expenses compensation can help relieve.
Economic damages are monetary in nature and help ease financial losses. Common economic damages include:
- Emergency medical care
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Property damage
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages encompass mental and emotional losses, like:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Anxiety and depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Psychological trauma
- Loss of companionship
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What constitutes a slip and fall accident?
A slip and fall accident occurs when an individual loses their balance, slips, or trips due to hazardous conditions or obstacles, leading to a fall that often results in injury.
2. Who can be held liable for my slip and fall injury?
The party who’s responsible for maintaining the property on which the accident occurs is usually liable for resulting injuries. This could be a property owner, landlord, business owner, or another individual in possession or control of the property.
3. How do I prove negligence in a slip and fall case?
Four criteria must be met to establish negligence in a slip and fall case.
- Duty: The property owner owed the plaintiff a duty of care.
- Breach: The property owner did not fulfill their duty of care.
- Causation: The property owner’s breached duty of care directly caused the plaintiff’s injuries.
- Damages: The plaintiff suffered a form of identifiable harm (physical, mental, or emotional) as a result of their injuries.
4. How long do I have to file a slip and fall lawsuit in Texas?
The statute of limitations for personal injury cases—which includes slip and fall accidents—is two years. That means you have two years from the date the accident occurs to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
5. What types of compensation can I receive for my injuries?
Compensation can cover any expenses tied to your accident-related injuries. Common expenses include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
6. What should I do immediately after a slip and fall accident?
Immediate action is essential after suffering from a slip and fall. These are the first steps you should take to ensure your well-being and maximize your chances of receiving fair compensation.
- Seek medical attention
- Report the accident
- Document the scene
- Gather witness statements
- Notify your insurance provider
- Contact a personal injury attorney
7. What if the accident occurred on government property?
Private property cases typically involve seeking compensation from property owners or occupants, and the process often centers on proving negligence. Government property cases involve government entities, which may have specific notice requirements, immunity in certain situations, and distinct legal procedures. Victims of slip and fall accidents on government property often face more complex legal challenges, including the need to navigate government-specific rules and regulations. Consult your attorney for help navigating this process.
Take the First Step Towards Justice Today
Don’t wait to secure the compensation you deserve. Contact our team today to start the process. We’ll schedule a consultation with you to review your case, determine fault, and make a game plan. You can count on us to handle everything from the initial consultation to litigation, so all you have to focus on is your recovery.