Helping Slip and Fall Victims in South Florida
My case couldn't have been handled better. It was handled in a timely manner - it wasn't rushed. If something ever happened again and I needed an attorney, Steinger, Greene & Feiner would be the first place I would go.
HOW DOES A SLIP AND FALL HAPPEN?
Anyone can suffer a slip and fall simply by tripping over his or her own feet. However, many falls – and especially those that cause serious injury – usually occur as a result of dangerous conditions. For example, some of the top causes of slip and fall injuries include:
- Slippery or wet floors or parking lots
- Uneven tile or flooring surfaces
- Raised or cracked sidewalks
- A change in elevation such as a small step-down
- Broken railings
- Uneven or too narrow stair treads
- Abrupt edges on sidewalks or on driveways
- Inadequate lighting
- Unsecured rugs or carpets
- Appliance or other cords stretched across a walking path
- A change in floor surface
These dangerous conditions that lead to slip and falls can exist in shopping centers, restaurants, stores, private homes or apartments, or on public spaces such as on sidewalks. View our Slip and Fall FAQ to answer more of your questions.
Despite what many people believe, injuries resulting from a slip and fall can be quite serious. A fall from a great height, onto a hard surface, or near a sharp or other dangerous object all can cause severe injuries, permanently disabling medical condition, and even death in some cases. Common injuries include, but are not limited to:
All of these can be quite serious, and may render an individual unable to work, either on a temporary basis or for a prolonged period of time.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A SLIP AND FALL?
When a slip and fall happens, it is important to determine who was responsible for the fall. If there were dangerous or hazardous conditions that caused the victim to trip and injure himself, the owner or the renter who was in control of and in charge of maintaining the property can be held legally responsible for the slip and fall accident.To determine if a property owner or renter should be held liable for a slip and fall injury, it is important to understand:
- What obligation, if any, the property owner had to the injured victim: Stores, restaurants and other public places that invite guests in to do business have the highest duty to their patrons and must inspect the premises and either warn guests of dangerous conditions or fix hazards that exist. Homeowners also have a duty to guests and friends they invite over, but, while they must fix hazards or warn guests about them, they have no obligation to inspect for them and must only take care of risks they know about or reasonably should be aware of.
- Whether that obligation was breached:If the property owner failed to maintain the property in a reasonably safe way, the owner can be held legally liable.
- The extent of the injuries:Slip and fall accident victims or their loved ones can obtain compensation for medical bills and costs, lost income, pain and suffering, emotional distress and wrongful death damages. A slip and fall accident lawyer can help to determine and prove the extent of the losses.
Injured victims of slip and falls can pursue their claim for compensation by proving that the property owner had an obligation and was negligent in living up to his duties.
GETTING HELP FROM A SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT LAWYER
If you or a loved one was hurt by a slip and fall accident, you can recover the compensation you deserve through negotiating a settlement or through filing a lawsuit and proving a fall claim in court. When pursuing either option, it pays to be represented by a slip and fall accident lawyer so you can have the best chance of maximizing the compensation available in your situation. The compensation you can obtain after a fall can make all the difference in helping to achieve financial security, get the medical care you need, and move on with your life. Our team of legal professionals is here to help you. While not all slip and fall accidents are preventable, some result directly from the negligent or careless behavior of others, including property owners. When an injury occurs due to another’s negligent behavior, compensation is often available. People purchase insurance policies to protect themselves in these situations; as a result, injury victims should not hesitate to seek the compensation that they need and deserve as they struggle with hefty medical bills, a loss of income, and physical and mental recovery from the ordeal. Contact Steinger, Iscoe & Greene at one of our offices in Miami, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Port St. Lucie, Fort Myers, Orlando, Okeechobee today to set up a free consultation with one of our experienced lawyers, and learn how you can seek compensation for your injuries.
we’re here to help
Free Case Evaluation