Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer | Coral Gables
The goal of a child sexual abuse case is to find a company or entity guilty of allowing the sexual abuse of a child. If a group such as a church, daycare, or in-home child care led to sexual abuse of the child, it is our job to prove they potentially:
- “Looked the other way”
- Ignored signs of child sexual abuse
- Employed and did not properly vet sexual predators
- Refused to protect or take action against those responsible.
At Steinger, Greene & Feiner, we defend victims of child sexual abuse in Coral Gables and help them take action. We have a team of dedicated, compassionate, and experienced child sexual abuse lawyers who will defend and fight for your right to hold those who allowed the abuse responsible for their actions.
Children who experience sexual abuse often feel that they are powerless to defend themselves. We want every abuse victim to get the help they deserve as soon as possible.
We are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Victims of child sexual abuse feel as though their power has been taken from them, so Steinger, Greene & Feiner only publishes case results with client approval. We never would release identifying information that could be used to locate a specific child or expose their identity.
- $6.5 MILLION for three different families who enrolled their preschool-aged children into a Head Start Program. The program failed to run background checks on its volunteers, leading to a convicted sex offender enrolling as a “Foster Grandparent”. All three children (aged 4, 4, and 5) became victims.
Child Sexual Abuse Warning Signs
Child victims of sexual abuse can suffer from numerous symptoms. Sometimes it’s not immediately obvious when a child is being groomed or is experiencing abuse.
The main physical sign is any STIs or sign of trauma in private areas. If your child is old enough to take care of their own hygiene needs, this can be overlooked. If you have any concerns about the wellbeing of your child, do not put off checking them physically even if you need to go to the pediatrician or emergency room.
Behavioral signs of child sexual abuse are more extensive and mainly involve how your child’s outward behavior may change in the case of possible child sexual abuse. Behavioral concerns include:
- Talking about inappropriate, mature topics.
- Keeping secrets.
- Wanting to be alone more than usual.
- Regressive behaviors such as thumb sucking or bedwetting.
- Overly obedient behavior.
- Inappropriate sexualized behavior.
- Being scared of “trusted” caregivers.
- Sudden discomfort with disrobing or changing out of clothes to bathe.
Traumatic emotional signs can also lead caregivers to be concerned over the state of their child’s wellbeing. Emotional warning signs cover how sexual abuse may have changed their outward view of the world. Emotional warning signs include:
- Loss of food preference.
- Increase or decrease in appetite.
- Change of mood or mood swings (aggression, sadness, anxiety).
- Nightmares or night terrors.
- Loss of interest in hobbies, friends, school, sports, or anything once loved.
- Self-harming behaviors.
- Increase in worrying, anxiety, fearfulness, or consequences.
- Loss of positive body-image or confidence.
Most importantly, listen to your gut even. Ninety percent of victims of child sexual abuse know their abuser and around 60% of child abuse victims end up being abused by someone their family knows and trusts. Don’t be left thinking you should have done something – just do it.
If you are blindsided by your child being sexually abused due to the negligence of an entity or group, we are here to provide legal counsel and the best litigation possible to give your family the financial compensation you deserve. We will make sure those responsible for your tragedy are held accountable.
When you are fighting for the rights and safety of your children, we will be there every step of the way to ensure you are properly and relentlessly represented by experienced and resourceful lawyers in Coral Gables.
Child sexual abuse has a high cost- both financially and emotionally. While the scars may not be visible like those from a car or truck accident, the emotional scars and trauma may take years to lighten or may never leave completely. Steinger, Greene & Feiner understand the traumatic toll sexual abuse can have on a child and their family.
Preponderance of Evidence
In Florida, any victim who suffered sexual abuse as a child can file a lawsuit against the organization or entity they recognize as the responsible party, regardless of how long ago the acts were perpetrated.
Child sexual abuse can be brought to court at any time, but often, the victim of child sexual abuse will bring their civil case to court as an adult.
The civil lawsuit will not end in a jail sentence but identifies the negligence of a group or entity allegedly responsible for the child sexual abuse. Reparations that can be recovered in these cases include;
- Financial costs associated with the abuse
- Emotional pain, anxiety, or fearfulness suffered from the abuse
- Ongoing pain or persistent emotional trauma from the abuse
The plaintiff must:
- Show the abuse occurred
- Prove the abuse caused harm
- Show the negligence of the entity or group
A preponderance of evidence is easier to prove and is the standard in a child sexual abuse case. Instead of proving beyond a reasonable doubt, the plaintiff must simply prove their version of events is most likely true. If they accomplish that, the jury should support the plaintiff and make the defendant pay compensation to the plaintiff.
Why Choose Us?
We understand that this may be the hardest time of your life. We will fight for your rights relentlessly to protect you and the ones you love. If you are a parent who wants to hold someone responsible for the sexual abuse of your child in Coral Gables, count on us. If you are finally ready to make those who abused you as a child pay for their transgressions, we will represent you. Our dedicated lawyers who specialze in child sexual abuse cases will fight with passion and empathy.
We have the experience, results, and passion to make sure your rights are recognized. Call us today at (786) 220-2990 or contact us online at your convenience. We are here and ready to help.