When a bananas foster dessert exploded Saturday night at the Ozona Blue Grilling Co. in Palm Harbor, Florida, four family members from Windermere were burned. Two of the burn victims–women aged 25 and 56–had to be taken by helicopter to Tampa General Hospital.
Palm Harbor Fire and Rescue spokesperson Liz Monforti told Tampa Bay’s Fox affiliate that a waiter used too much alcohol when making the sweet dish, which is traditionally prepared tableside in a skillet with bananas, butter, and cinnamon, doused with rum that’s then ignited, and served atop ice cream.
The flaming liquor reportedly spread quickly and spilled onto a family sitting near the dessert. The family included a couple who were dining with their son, his fiancée, and a friend, according to TampaBay.com.
A 25-year-old elementary school teacher was the most badly wounded, suffering first and second degree burns when her dress caught on fire. She remains hospitalized.
“It’s going to be a long time for her to heal,” said Monforti.
An off-duty fireman who happened to be at the restaurant during the explosion provided first aid for each of the four victims.
Two of the people who were burned—males aged 25 and 58–refused to be treated for burns on their knees.
Have you or someone you know been involved in an injury or accident in Florida?
The Florida injury lawyers at Steinger, Greene & Feiner may be able to help.