FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA — Adults know to be careful when they cook. Unfortunately, as careful as we may be, accidents still happen, causing devastating injury. Such was the case last week when a toddler was injured as her relative was preparing dinner for the family.
According to a police report, the girl’s relative was cooking dinner using a pressure cooker. The child was nearby as the relative was preparing the meal. The toddler was burned by steam and liquid that overflowed from the pot. Family members in the home called 911 immediately following the accident.
A tweet from the Fort Lauderdale Fire Marshal stated that the little girl was burned on 60 percent of her body. She was transported to the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Burn Center. The accident remains under investigation.
Stories like this, while tragic, remind us of the importance of kitchen safety. Accidents are just that…accidents. If a child is present in the kitchen while you are cooking, make sure that they are across the room in a place where they cannot be burned should something on the stove overflow or catch on fire.
Have a fire extinguisher or bag of flour nearby in case of such a fire. Know how to smother various types of cooking fires, and make sure that everyone in the house knows how to call for emergency services. Never leave cooking food unattended, and keep anything toxic or potentially harmful out of reach of small hands.
If you or a family member has been injured, our personal injury attorneys are here to assist you. We will perform a free case evaluation and help you determine if you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Call us today so that we can review your case at no cost to you. We want to help you put your life back together.